1320-2nd Street N Cranbrook, BC Phone: 778-517-5568
Hours of operation: After school on school days, extended hours on non-instructional days/during the summer Closed Statutory holidays, two weeks for Christmas Break and
for a one-week period prior to Labour Day.
The Youth Impact Youth Centre’s mission is to empower youth to become positive leaders and role models in our community, by supporting and challenging youth in their social, emotional, and physical development.
The beginnings of the Youth Impact Youth Centre:
· The Youth Centre started with a request from youth who had previously participated in the programs offered by the Cranbrook Boys and Girls Club, for children from birth to 12 years of age. These youth wanted to continue to participate in fun and engaging activities now that they were over 12 years of age.
· Hearing the feedback from the youth and being aware of a gap in supports for this age group, in 2014 the Cranbrook Boys and Girls Club began offering youth activities in the summer and on the school district’s professional development/non-instructional days.
· The response from the youth was very positive. As a result, the Cranbrook Boys and Girls Club began work on establishing more youth programming, resulting in the creation of the Youth Impact Youth Centre in April 2015 in a leased space.
The current services and supports offered by the Youth Impact Youth Centre include:
· Free programs and activities open to any youth in Cranbrook, that are currently enrolled in grades 7 – 12, with a pool of over 100 youth who have participated in afternoon and evening activities throughout the week and on weekends
· Giving youth an alcohol-free and drug-free space to build lasting friendships with peers in a safe and comfortable environment through activities such as rock climbing, hiking, swimming at the beach or pool, camping, mini-golfing, downhill and cross-country skiing, and other exciting activities
· Providing youth with assets and skill development through lessons such as job training, resume writing, cooking healthy meals, physical activities, and more
· Helping youth to connect with the community through activities such as community fundraisers, assisting other organizations, or learning about other community projects in town
· Supporting youth by building positive, consistent relationships with adult staff members and qualified adult volunteers